Saturday 15 September 2012

I've woken up on another planet

Another night, another overnight bus. Somehow when I was making my travel plans around Turkey, I thought night buses were a good idea, I would save money on accommodation and buses in Turkey are way better than buses in India ......

Anyways, it's stupid o'clock and I've crawled off my overnight bus from Antalya onto a shuttle. I've no idea how long this trip is, so fall straight back to sleep - even with the crazy Aussie dude full of head cold parked beside me.

Next thing I hear a weird low hissing noise, so I open my bleary eyes and am amazed. The sky is full of hot air balloons drifting over a moon-like landscape.


If I didn't know better, I would assume I've woken up on another planet.










The town of Goreme, my home for the next few days, is like nothing I've ever seen before. I just kinda stare around with my jaw hanging open. I'd read about this place but no words can prepare you for the amazing sights of Cappadocia.

I settle into my cave room, yep that's right, my home for the next few days is built into the rocks. It's very cool, in both senses of the word.








The amazing landscape was formed by various volcanic eruptions with the underlying rock softer then the top so caves were formed.

There are houses built in the rocks everywhere and even underground towns, thought to be built by the Byzantines and fleeing Christians between the 4th and 11th centuries.















The colours of the rocks and formations are different across Cappadocia.



















There are loads of fairy chimneys, rock formations created by layers of lava and loads of erosion.















I had an amazing adventure exploring Cappadocia, made even better by exploring with crazy new friends.












Posted from somewhere round the world...

No comments:

Post a Comment