Friday 29 June 2012

What's not to love about Paris

Living (temporarily) in London makes it easy to pop over to Paris. And even easier, you can go by train. No long airport queues. I picked up a coffee, hopped on the Eurostar, sat back and relaxed .... and a couple of hours later I was in Paris.


My home for the next week is Hotel Renior in Montparnasse. If you look close enough you can see the sign about half way down the street. The street is full of creperies, quite disastrous really as I quickly developed an addiction to salted caramel crepes.

I played the ultimate tourist in Paris, climbing aboard the hop on hop bus. I was armed with my Paris pass and was ready to explore.






















I cruised around on the bus for a while then decided I needed to get up close and personal with a few major artworks.



Mona is looking much better than me - it was awfully windy on the top of the bus.












The Lourve is enormous and amazing. After the pushing crowds of american tourists trying to get up close and personal with the Mona Lisa it was refreshing to have whole rooms of art to myself. This slightly wonky pic is of a section of ceiling. Amazing.



I also had a major art fix at Musee D'orsay (no cameras allowed), hanging out with works from Monet, Renior, Van Gough and Gaugin.

But my fav was l'Orangerie. There were two rooms each with three enormous Monet's showing each stage of the waterlily painting. It felt like I was in the painting. Once again though, no cameras allowed.

The next day I fueled up on expresso with a view.


Then began my enormous walking tour. Well that was the plan til I hopped on a boat and cruised down the Seine.









Walking the streets (yes I finally go off the boat) of various neighborhoods I discovered cool cafes, fab churches and of course crepes.

Saint Chapelle church has amazing stained glass windows upstairs.






But the lesser known church Saint Severine in the Latin Quarter was also impressive, and i was the only one there.







Luckily for me, after so much stained glass I managed to find the famous Laduree so could refuel on macaroons.


Kristen popped over for the weekend, so the first stop was of course a local creperie. We threw in a bottle of cider, thinking it was a good idea. It wasn't!




Kristen and i shopped (oops) and ate our way around the city.


There we are with yet more crepes!


And we took in a show at the Lido.






The sun was shining the next day so we headed to Montmarne for breakfast baguettes, the Sacre Coeure and more macaroons.












It was sad to leave Paris, particularly as the sun was shining. But I will be back .... my salted caramel crepe addiction will see to that.


Posted from somewhere round the world...

1 comment: